Image Map

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Safe Share Instrumental Videos

As I stated in an earlier post, I am currently working on teaching different instruments of the orchestra and various ensembles. In my experience, any time I can share a cool video with my kiddos they get SO much more excited about what we are working on. This is especially important to me because if the kids don't have fun learning about it they tend to not actually listen -or- learn. Plus, I find that some students will enjoy the work no matter what, but others need a little inspiration to make them excited about the subject.

My trick is to use videos of popular artists on YouTube or new and interesting videos that relate to the topic. On my professional website I list all sorts of links to these videos for my students to watch at home, at their convenience. I also show various videos in class when they relate. This gives me the opportunity to show or remind the students of these videos and spark their curiosity. My philosophy is to get kids excited about music and have them involved in music even outside of music class. If that means watching an orchestra play a Katy Perry song or Bruno Mars song, I feel I'm still building their music pallet. This is not something they would probably search out themselves, but they are still excited about it!

As I stated before, I have MANY videos on my school website, but I'm going to share just a few that I have used for this instrument families unit:

The Vegetable Orchestra - People creating instruments using vegetables. Great way to introduce the orchestra or just talk about non-traditional instruments.


Cello Wars by The Piano Guys - This is a piece by The Piano Guys. You seriously have to check them out and see more of their videos. I also shared their One Direction video with my 1st graders who are studying vibrations, and their Mission Impossible video with some of my classes. They are just a fun group and I'm sure your students would like any of their videos.


Crystallize by Lindsey Stirling - Another great strings player. She has some WONDERFUL videos and it is a great way to get students into some classical music. It is hard not to get pulled into her videos.


Lady Gaga played by Breaking Winds - This is a group of four bassoon players. I liked it because bassoon is an instrument students do not normally know that much about and may not have ever heard.


Somebody That I Used to Know perfomed by Pentatonix - If you do not already know about this group, you are missing out. They have such GORGEOUS arrangements of different pop/rock songs. The best part is they sing all a cappella, but the students have such a hard time believing it. Show them any video and your kiddos will be hooked. I have a 2nd grader who is begging his parents to go to one of their concerts this year and other students that tell me how they watched EVERY one of their videos.


Firework performed by Salt Lake Pops Orchestra - This group creates beautiful arrangements of pop songs for their orchestra. Wonderful videos, too!


Now, I know this is getting a little long winded, but I feel it is important I quickly talk about Safe Share. Safeshare.tv is a website that makes sharing YouTube videos with your students safer. You know how pesky those ads are and even the videos they may recommend you aren't always appropriate for your little ones eyes. So, you take the link, paste it into SafeShare and voila you have a safe video. Same video, no ads, no recommended videos, and no way to get to YouTube directly from the video. Much safer for sharing with your students. It is probably the best link I could possibly share with you. Hope you find it as useful as I have and please let me know if you share any of these videos! Or feel free to share YouTube videos you watch. I'm kind of a YouTube-a-holic.

5 comments :

  1. I love sharing YouTube videos. It's such a simple, fast and impactful way to break up a lesson while giving the kids yet another experience. I have used one video per rotation with my 2-5 kids and they really look forward to it. Thanks for the tip about Safe Share. I haven't come across any videos yet that have been a problem but it definitely would make me feel more comfortable using Safe Share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally have problems with the YouTube videos themselves. I normally have issues with the ads they show. (I have had weird ads show up before.) I have also had issues with students seeing the recommended videos. They aren't normally inappropriate, but it can be somewhat distracting to the students.

      Delete
    2. You know I just realized that the reason I haven't seen the recommended videos is because I usually play YouTube videos through Pinterest. You do still get the ads though. I'll have to try Safe Share.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic post! Thank-you so much for these videos! I haven't seen any of them yet. I am so especially excited for the Vegetable Orchestra one and the Gaga one! I will be sharing these all with my students at some point. You should check out the trailer for Landfill Harmonic- http://vimeo.com/55338124 if you haven't already. I can't wait for the documentary. I have shown the trailer to my older students and they thought it was so cool!

    Thanks for sharing!
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful trailer. Things like that remind me why I love music and just how powerful an experience music can be in a persons' life.

      Delete